Robert Jenkins is Visiting Assistant Professor and Director of Undergraduate Outreach in the Department of Germanic Languages and Literatures.
Robert regularly teaches courses in literature, culture, translation, and Austro-German cultural influence in the European Union. In addition, he advises German language students of study abroad opportunities in Germany & Austria, including the Illinois exchange program with Vienna.
His research interests broadly include late 19th, 20th, and 21st century German and Austrian literature, specifically Expressionism, New Objectivity, and Avant-garde literary forms. Additional interests include literary translation and translation theory, audiovisual translation, philosophy of language, cognitive-semiotic approaches to literature, language, humor, media, and concepts of masculinity as circumscribed by popular violence.
Ph.D. Vanderbilt University
M.A. University of California Santa Barbara
Awards and Honors
- LAS Academic Professional Award
- GER 201, German Popular Culture
- GER 205, Germany and Europe
- GER 211, German Conversation and Writing I
- GER 212, German Conversation and Writing II
- GER 250, The Grimms’ Fairy Tales in Context, with Advanced Writing
- GER 251, The Grimms' Fairy Tales
- GER 321, German for Economics
- GER 331, Introduction to German Literature
- GER 332, German Literature & Culture: Humor in German-language Prose, Theater, Film and Television.
- GER 401, Global Issues in German Media
- GER 403, German-English Translation. Grad/UGrad
- GER 473, German Lit. 1920s to Today, The Mind and Literature—Literature in the Mind. Grad/UGrad
- GER 473, German Literature, 1920s to Today: 20th & 21st Century Narrative. Grad/UGrad
- TRST 201, Introduction to Translation Studies
- TRST 580, Special Topics: Audiovisual Translation-Subtitling. Grad/UGrad
- TRST 410, Theory of Translation. Grad/UGrad
- TRST 432, Audiovisual Translation Studies. Grad/UGrad
- Courses Taught Elsewhere (Below)
- German Language at all levels
- Literature and the Interpretation of Culture
- Foreign Language Teacher Education Practicum
- Introduction to German Studies (co-taught)