At regular intervals, the Program staff arranges excursions to historic and scenic sites, such as museums, exhibitions, archeological excavations, monasteries, castles, and vineyards.
Theater and Music
Konzerthaus, Großer Saal
Participants attend plays at the famous Burgtheater, the Volkstheater, and other renowned venues. The group also procures tickets to classical and modern orchestral performances at the Musikverein and Konzerthaus, as well as to outstanding choral and vocal soloist performances throughout Vienna. You may wish to get into the spirit with a little Austrian music. Check out the Wiener Szene and Der Falter sites for more information on music and theater in Vienna.
Vienna Woods near Sophienalpe
Vienna is located at the edge of the Vienna Woods in the eastern foothills of the Alps. The location offers excellent opportunities to hike and bike in the beautiful country. Students may register for sports courses and activities at the University of Vienna. There are many sports clubs offering a variety of organized athletic activities. In past years students from the Austria-Illinois Exchange Program have participated in 10-K runs and joined volleyball and soccer teams. A week of skiing is part of the year-long program. For a glimpse of the ski week venue and more information, see the Berghotel Seidl-Alm.
More typical IiVP events and excursions....
- Historic walk "700 hundred years of history in two hours" through the first district of Vienna
- Guided tour in and around the Naschmarkt
- Hiking/City Tours;
- Museums Events
- Concerts at the Musikverein and Konzerthaus
- Theater Visits
- Welcome & Departure Dinners
- Table Tennis Tournaments
- Idyllic hike on the Kahlenberg
- Boating exploration of the AlteDonaube
- Hike on the Raxalpe
- Long Night of the Museums
- Christmas Markets
- Viennese Balls
- And Much More: City Bike tour of Vienna, first concert, tree-planting festival “Wald der JungenWienerInnen”, Voicemaniaopening concert, Stammtische, Winetasting at the Neusiedlersee, Weihnachtsmarkt concert; Skiing…
- Week long ski trip prior to the semester (optional with additional costs)~ Receive KIN credit
- Easter Markets
- Free Open-Air Concerts
- Festival of Joy: Konzert der Wiener Symphoniker at the Heldenplatz
- Opening Wiener Festwochen Rathausplatz
- Summer night`s concert of the Wiener Philharmoniker in Schönbrunn
- Danube island festival (Donauinselfest)
Sunrise Walk at the Ski Week 2019 in Saalbach Hinterglemm. Photo Credit: Michael Cummings.